Headend in PDF

The New York Museum of Transportation

HEADEND


Volume 32, Number 4 July-August, 2018


MONROE COUNTY FAIR A SUCCESS Event Brings New Visitors to NYMT

The 2018 Monroe County Fair featured a new horse corral. This scene is just down Forest Lane from NYMT.

The Monroe County Fair, held at the fairgrounds next to NYMT, had much to offer in its second year in Rush. Animal exhibitions, a horse show, and a tractor pull, along with music, food and beverage, highlighted the fair’s offerings this year. New facilities, including a horse corral and a tractor pull site, added to the excitement.

NYMT again offered trolley service during the fair, which this year took place on Friday, August 3; Saturday, August 4; and Sunday, August 5.

Doug Anderson is showing off car 161 during his Monroe County Fair shift on Saturday, August 4, 2018.

Two NYMT volunteers worked throughout the entire weekend. Jim Dierks served as the Officer of the Day at NYMT while Nancy Uffindell kept an information booth at the fair. Nearly all motormen and model train room volunteers also took one or more shifts throughout the hours the fair was in operation.

A horse corral and a tractor pull area were new features for the fair this year. The horse corral became a focus of activity on Sunday. The tractor pull area had the unusual feature that it could easily be seen from the trolley at the S-Curves.

Another tractor is being readied for the tractor pull area while 168 is seen in the background on Sunday, August 5.

Justin Micillo sold drinks and snacks at the NYMT loading area. He is seen at his “store” in the blue shirt.


SHOP REPORT

Philadelphia and Western car 161 — An air leak was discovered in a component of this car’s air brake system in early August. On August 18, Bob Miner, Charlie Lowe and Bob Sass investigated the problem. The leaking component was removed from the car, cleaned and lubricated as best as could be done, and replaced on the car. It continues to leak slowly, and further corrective action is needed.

Philadelphia and Western car 168 — A minor air leak at the south end whistle piping was found, in early August, to have become severe enough that the copper piping needed replacement. This work was done on August 18.

Overhead — The overhead crew installed a section insulator just north of BOCES Crossing on August 9 and 10. This insulator permits the isolation of the overhead south of this point in case the overhead is damaged there, thus allowing continued operation of the rest of the line. On August 9, Dick Holbert oversaw the installation of grounding apparatus at pole 32. Included were a ground rod, a connecting cable to a nearby track bond, and a ground cable running from both the rod and the bond up the pole and terminating in a screw clamp. Jay Consadine handled the pick and shovel work for the cables; he also drove the ground rod as well. Meanwhile Bob Achilles and Charlie Lowe installed specially-made cabling to adjacent poles, set up come-alongs for tensioning the trolley wire at pole 32, and tensioned the trolley wire to create slack for the insulator. The next day, Bob, Dick and Charlie re-assembled in the morning, cut the trolley wire and installed the section insulator. Unlike the 1920s section insulator installed on track 23 in 2016, this section insulator is a modern style insulator which was provided to NYMT by Halton County Radial Railway Museum. Bob and Charlie made test runs in the afternoon, assuring themselves that installation was sound and that running through the section insulator with no traction power was not too difficult.

An additional feature of this section insulator is that the wire south of BOCES can be de-energized during times when a steam engine is operating. This will ensure that any soot deposited on the overhead can be cleaned before re-energizing the line. Bob, Jack Tripp and Charlie opened the section insulator on August 13 in preparation for this year’s RGV steam event.

Work has also been proceeding on electrifying the remaining 690 feet of the loop track. Three span wires using ceramic insulators instead of wood strain insulators have recently been installed in preparation for applying overhead wire. This work completes the setting of cables down the hill to the vicinity of the loop switch.

Facility — Grass mowing is a vital part of keeping the museum in a well-kept-up appearance. Dave Coon, Rich Fischpera, Rick Holahan and Taylor Reed have been mowing and trimming our vast acreage of lawn on a weekly basis, and the results are outstanding.

Jim Weisner has taken over the management of keeping our well water within limits prescribed by Monroe County. ODs perform the tests, and Jim provides oversight to ensure they are done correctly. Bob Nesbitt has accordingly retired from managing the water system, which he has faithfully done with no mishaps for the last decade or so since the system was installed.

Track — NYMT’s annual track work project began on August 30, just as this issue of Headend went to press. Thirty tie replacements are to be installed on the grade between the Track 21 Switch and Remelt’s Stop. A total of 400 feet of ditching between BOCES and Reid’s Crossings is to be dug to help improve drainage on the service road here. The next issue of Headend will contain a more detailed description of this project.

Board — At its July meeting, the Board of Trustees approved final details for the Monroe County Fair and the acquisition of the Midtown Monorail. A General Order for trolley crew procedures was also approved.

At its August meeting, the Board of Trustees discussed the status of the upcoming events, the milking parlor roof repair job, the impending arrival of the Midtown Monorail and the status of the upcoming track project. The possibility of budget reductions for 2019 was also discussed. A lengthy discussion was had concerning the types of volunteers needed and ways NYMT might attract new volunteers. A motion to provide trolley operation on November 4, 11 and 18, 2018 was approved.


RAILROAD DAY A BIG HIT

August 12 saw yet another of NYMT’s events take place, and visitors responded to the Railroad Day offerings with great interest. Some twenty NYMT volunteers put in a long day providing, in addition to our usual offerings, talks and demonstrations for track work and a guided tour of our G&W caboose.


AUGUST RGV MEETING NIGHT TRAIN RUNS TO NYMT

NYMT hosted RGV’s “meeting night” train on August 16. A train consisting of RGV engine 54, coach 23 and Erie caboose C-254 tackled the NYMT Railway north of Midway. Members from both organizations participated in test runs and the later general passenger run that evening. After the test runs to the Track 21 Switch, engine 54 was uncoupled from its train and moved light up the 7% grade on the recently rebuilt east leg of the loop track. With great difficulty, engine 54 did manage to reach the brick loading area. The passenger run went to the Track 21 Switch where all disembarked and took a brief visit inside the NYMT buildings.


STEAM COMES TO NYMT AGAIN

NYMT worked with neighbor museum Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum to assist in RGV’s steam event. As was done last year, RGV rented 0-4-0ST Viscose 6 for two consecutive weekends in August. NYMT provided an additional quarter-mile of track so Viscose 6 could provide a longer ride than would be possible on RGV’s track. On August 19 and 26, NYMT trolleys met the steam train, providing NYMT visitors with a rare look at a live steam engine at work.

On August 19, Jay Consadine is giving a talk to visitors at BOCES who are intent on seeing the approaching steam engine.

Trevor Adams, serving as a Trainman during the August 19 steam event, chats with motorman Rich Fischpera, who remains at the controls and out of sight in this photograph.

Here is the view of the steam engine on August 19 as it can be seen through the front window of NYMT’s car 168.

Viscose 6 is working hard with its train while ascending the 2% grade leading up to BOCES Crossing. Reid’s Crossing can be seen in the background.


ROCHESTER STREETCARS......................... No. 89 in a series

RS&E 999
Kuhlman Photo, Dave Lanni Collection

Once in awhile, a photograph so interesting appears on the desk of Rochester Streetcars that it receives immediate attention. Such was the case with the present photo of Rochester, Syracuse and Eastern 999, which was delivered in late August to NYMT by the late Dave Lanni’s daughter.

Private car 999 (Kuhlman, 1910), numbered in imitation of New York Central’s fast 4-4-0 of the same number, was possibly the most luxurious electric car ever to run in Rochester. The car’s parlor, “retiring room”, dining room, kitchen and smoking room each were finished in fine hardwoods and lavishly floored with either tiles or carpeting, depending on the room. The RS&E, itself luxurious, was a fast and well-manicured double-track race track of an interurban between its two namesake cities. It formed the backbone of Clifford D. Beebe’s syndicate of interurbans which at one point stretched from Lockport to Syracuse, north to Oswego and south to Auburn for a total of 318 miles. Befitting such a grand system, car 999 served as Beebe’s business car on which he could tour his 318-mile-long interurban empire in style.

None of this lasted very long. In 1915, car 999 was rebuilt as the parlor car Rochester and was used in deluxe service on interurban trains. This attempt to garner traffic failed and Rochester was in storage by late 1916. In 1920, as passenger traffic dropped and freight operations became ever more important in the survival of all interurbans, Rochester was rebuilt into Rochester and Syracuse Railroad freight trailer 80, the R&S having succeeded the RS&E in 1917. Car 80 could no more save the R&S from collapse than had its predecessor forms, and the line quit in 1931. Presumably scrapped along with all other R&S equipment in 1931–32, car 80/Rochester/999 now lives on in photos—and in the form of a single saucer from 999 now in the private collection of Rochester Streetcars, a happy occurrence we are sure RS&E aficionado extraordinaire Dave Lanni would have greatly enjoyed.




HEADEND


Volume 32, Number 4 July_August, 2018


HEADEND is a publication of New York Museum of Transportation, © 2018. All rights reserved. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.
www.nymtmuseum.org (585) 533-1113




Headend

Editor Charles R. Lowe
Associate Editor James E. Dierks
Printer Bob Miner
On-Line Publication Bob Sass

Board of Trustees

President and Trustee Charles R. Lowe
First Vice President and Trustee Carlos Mercado
Second Vice President and Trustee Jack Tripp
Third Vice President and Trustee Nancy Uffindell
Secretary and Trustee Jim Dierks
Treasurer and Trustee Bob Achilles
Trustee Doug Anderson
Board Member Bob Sass

Department Leaders

Archivist Jim Dierks
Chief Engineer Charlie Lowe
Chief Lineman Charlie Lowe
Chief Track Car Operator Rich Fischpera
Exhibits Manager Jim Dierks
Event Manager Nancy Uffindell
Facilities Manager Dave Coon
Gift Shop Crew Manager Beth Adams
Gift Shop Manager Doug Anderson
Group Tour Manager Jim Dierks
Historic Car and Building Manager Charlie Lowe
Marketing Manager Jim Dierks
Master Mechanic Strafford Cars Charlie Lowe
Master Mechanic Track Cars Rich Fischpera
Model Railroad Manager Bob Nesbit
Membership Manager Bob Sass
New Volunteer Manager Carlos Mercado
Officer of the Day Manager Jim Dierks
Substation Manager Bob Sass
Track Maintenance Manager Rich Fischpera
Trainmaster Charlie Lowe

EDITORIAL COMMENT

With our Fall and Christmas seasons just around the corner, please be sure to lend a hand with our upcoming events. Adding yourself to the volunteer crew which operates the museum on Sundays and for Group Tours is perhaps the best way you can support NYMT.

Charles R. Lowe, Editor



ALL ABOUT US

The New York Museum of Transportation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit museum chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. We are managed and operated entirely by volunteers, and the welcome mat is always out for anyone wishing to join our work. Open for visitors all year on Sundays only, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., we also welcome group visits during the week by appointment.

We are located at 6393 East River Road in the Town of Rush, and our mailing address is P.O. Box 136, West Henrietta, NY 14586. www.nymtmuseum.org is the place to find us on the internet and learn much more about us. Also, you can visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NYMTmuseum.

Want to contact us? Call us at (585) 533-1113 or send us an email at info@nymtmuseum.org. And, remember to tell your friends!

Consider becoming a member www.nymtmuseum.org/Membership.php .