Headend in PDF

The New York Museum of Transportation

HEADEND


Volume 31, Number 4 July-August, 2017


TROLLEYS AT TWILIGHT A SUCCESS

The annual “Trolleys at Twilight” event on July 22, 2017 showcased the lure of the trolley at dusk. It proved to be a highlight of the season at NYMT with 185 visitors enjoying a pleasant evening at the museum.

Car 161 was the star of the show, just recently placed back in service after air system repairs.

Conductor Carlos Mercado keeps an eye on car 161’s pole, guarding against dewirements, as the car is moved back into the trolley barn by motorman Rich Fischpera at the end of Trolleys at Twilight. Jim Dierks photo.

Car 161 is back in the barn, and Conductor Doug Anderson is seen removing the red light used as a marker at the rear of the car. Jim Dierks photo.


COUNTY FAIR AND RAILROAD DAY

A Full Weekend of Intense Activity at NYMT

Coming soon after Trolleys at Twilight, the Monroe County Fair and Railroad Day together formed a three-day extravaganza at NYMT. The Monroe County Fair has relocated to property directly adjacent to NYMT, and was held on August 4–6, 2017. NYMT’s Railroad Day was held on Sunday, August 6. Over 350 visited the museum grounds and rode the trolley during these events.

We were fortunate to have Nancy Uffindell stationed at a table at the Monroe County Fair as she was able to direct about a hundred riders to our cars.


SHOP REPORT

Genesee and Wyoming Caboose 8 — Final detailing is being applied to the museum’s caboose. Jim Dierks has hand-painted the lettering and numbering on one side and an end of the car. A general cleanup made it possible to display the caboose for “Railroad Day” in August.

Philadelphia and Western 161 — In late June and early July, a permanent support for the air system piping was constructed and installed using steel brackets bolted to the old air dryer bracket. Bob Achilles and Charlie Lowe oiled the car just in time for it to be used in the annual Trolleys at Twilight event in July.

R&E Shelter House — Carter Brown completed scraping and sanding old paint by mid-June. He then primed the entire exterior in white oil-based primer in July. Navy Blue was applied to trim while a very authentic orange known as “Pumpkin Toast” was applied to the siding. Rick Holahan assisted in this work. All this was completed under budget and just in time for the County Fair by Carter.

Track — The track crew continued work on the loop track culvert during June. When the present 18-inch-diameter pipe was removed, it was found to be nearly choked full with ballast, cinders and soil. The new 12-inch-diameter pipe was laid in the trench cut for removal of the old pipe, but was raised nearly a foot so as to be set in line with the bottoms of the ditches at both ends of the culvert. Finishing work included rebuilding the embankment, placing ballast and restoring the three ties removed to make way for the excavation. Rich Fischpera guided this work to completion. Those assisting with this project included Bob Achilles, Carter Brown, Rick Holahan, Gary Lamphron and Charlie Lowe.

Overhead — Preparation work for the loop track electrification continued in June and July. The necessary 21 single pullovers were cleaned, primed and painted, these coming from stock acquired in 2009 from Trolleyville. These had probably seen decades of use in Cleveland, Ohio. At least 30 wood strain insulators were cleaned and re-varnished for use with both single and double pullovers.

The first 8 bonding locations had their traction bonds applied in late June by Dick Holbert and Bob Sass. The remaining 9 bonding locations were ground on July 2 by Charlie Lowe with the assistance of Justin Micillo and bonded on August 15 by Bob and Dick. Justin and Charlie also spent several sessions cleaning and re-threading the all-important HS (Hollow Screw) clamps used to grip the contact wire at span wires and pullovers in August.

On the afternoon of August 28, an overhead crew consisting of Bob Achilles, Charlie Lowe, Carlos Mercado and Jack Tripp installed one backbone and one downguy. The crew installed another backbone and another downguy two days later.

Pavilion — The location for the pavilion was altered in late June so as to be closer to the current picnic area. The footings were built in July and the superstructure was completed on August 21. Two picnic tables have been built especially for this pavilion. Ryan Russell led this project as an Eagle Scout candidate.

Ryan Russell posed with the pavilion and picnic tables he and his crew have provided for NYMT. Jim Dierks photo.

Railing — Eagle Scout candidate Ben Brown completed a heavy-duty wooden safety railing at the east side of the brick loading area on August 26.

Ben Brown is seen at the brick loading area with the new safety railing he and his crew recently built for NYMT.This sturdy fencing will help keep our passengers safe for years to come. Jim Dierks photo.


Several NYMT visitors enjoy watching Viscose 6 near BOCES Crossing on August 27, 2017. Jim Dierks photo.

MUSEUM VISITORS ENJOY STEAM ENGINE

On August 19, 20, 26 and 27, Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum hosted 0-4-0ST Viscose 6. Through the cooperation of NYMT, the steam train runs were extended north from Midway to BOCES Crossing on the NYMT Railway. Riders on NYMT’s trolleys were able to disembark somewhat north of BOCES and walk to the crossing. Here, the steam train appeared on a half-hourly basis.

Making the walkway possible required much advanced work. Charlie Lowe and Rick Holahan replaced the missing decking on a small bridge on the walkway, and many volunteers kept the path well mowed during the months prior to the event. The track crew, led by Rich Fischpera, placed steps, cones, a tent and a picnic table at strategic spots just prior to the steam events.

About three-quarters of our passengers made the walk to watch and photograph the steam engine runs, the first ever at either museum.


MOWING A CONSTANT BATTLE

Heavy Rains All Summer Make Grass Grow More Than Usual

It seems that so much rain has fallen this summer that NYMT’s stalwart crew of mowers has been working overtime keeping NYMT looking well-manicured for each Sunday of operation. Dave Coon, Rich Fischpera, Steve Huse and Bob Miner have all been spotted atop the museum’s trusty Ford farm tractor keeping the grass in check. No doubt others who have escaped the gaze of your editor have ridden the Ford to victory over the lawn. Others, including Taylor Reed, have contributed by running lawn tractors and various push mowers on areas near and around NYMT buildings.

We recently faced a challenge with maintenance on the Ford tractor. The front tires had worn to the point they were expected to blow out any time. New tires were located; the front wheels were removed from the tractor and sent out for tire replacement, and then re-installed on the tractor. Dave Coon, our Facilities Manager, and Taylor Reed led the charge in getting the re-tired front wheels back on the tractor so the Battle of the Lawn could resume.


FEATURED CARS UP FOR DONATIONS

In each issue of Headend you will notice that your donations are solicited for various cars in the collection in addition to requests for the general and endowment funds. Donations are an important way to move car restorations forward. For example, the G&W caboose 8 restoration now being completed was made possible by a hefty donation made by the G&W years ago.

We routinely list several important cars. Strafford cars 161 and 168 are vital and deserve your attention because they are our only operational cars. Car 7 is listed as it could be made operational quickly with only a minimum of new donations. Rochester city car 437 would be a great part of Rochester history to have running on our line. Rochester and Eastern 157, the first car to arrive at NYMT (in 1973), could also be made operational.

We also list one additional car for your consideration. This issue’s “additional” donation car is our Rochester city car 1402. It sits outside at Forest Lane. When built in 1904, 1402 was a 25-series open car. A ride on an open car is a ride to remember! Could 1402 be rebuilt as an open car? Possibly, but as with all such projects very little can happen without strong financial support. Please consider 1402, or any of NYMT’s other cars, as worthy of your donation.


ROCHESTER STREETCARS......................... No. 84 in a series

Rochester Transit Corp. 2002
Author's Collection

© Charles R. Lowe

Here we have an August 1938 view of Subway car 2002 in the yard at the Subway car house, ready for another run. Just that month, a mere 79 years ago, New York State Railways, Rochester Lines became Rochester Transit Corporation. The 46-series cars were just then making their first runs on the Subway, relegating the ten 2000-series cars to either Dewey surface-Subway runs or the scrap line.

Only four of the 2000’s survived the end of Dewey surface-Subway operations in 1941, and 2002 was one of these lucky four. Cars 2000 and 2002, largely unused after 1946, were scrapped in 1950. Only 2006 and 2010 of the 2000s then remained. Car 2006, while being used as a crew car, burned to its trucks in 1952, and 2010 was scrapped in 1956 along with all but car 60 of the 46-series cars.




HEADEND


Volume 31, Number 4 July-August, 2017


HEADEND is a publication of New York Museum of Transportation, © 2017. All rights reserved. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.
www.nymtmuseum.org (585) 533-1113




Headend

Editor Charles R. Lowe
Associate Editor James E. Dierks
Printer Bob Miner
On-Line Publication Bob Sass

Officers and Trustees

President and Trustee Charles R. Lowe
First Vice President and Trustee Carlos Mercado
Second Vice President and Board Member Bob Sass
Third Vice President and Trustee Jack Tripp
Secretary and Trustee Jim Dierks
Treasurer and Trustee Bob Achilles
Trustee Doug Anderson
Trustee Ted Strang

Department Leaders

Archivist Jim Dierks
Chief Engineer Charlie Lowe
Chief Lineman Charlie Lowe
Chief Track Car Operator Rich Fischpera
Exhibits Manager Jim Dierks
Event Manager Nancy Uffindell
Facilities Manager Dave Coon
Gift Shop Crew Manager Beth Adams
Gift Shop Manager Doug Anderson
Group Tour Manager Jim Dierks
Historic Car and Building Manager Charlie Lowe
Marketing Manager Jim Dierks
Master Mechanic Strafford Cars Charlie Lowe
Master Mechanic Track Cars Rich Fischpera
Model Railroad Manager Bob Nesbit
Membership Manager Bob Sass
New Volunteer Manager Carlos Mercado
Officer of the Day Manager Jim Dierks
Substation Manager Bob Sass
Track Maintenance Manager Rich Fischpera
Trainmaster Charlie Lowe

EDITORIAL COMMENT

It was heartening to see our museum come alive with the bustle of visitors we have had at the several events in July and August. To me, this is the most important reason to participate at NYMT. Of course, I love to work with the museum’s ancient equipment and interact with other volunteers who share my interests in such archaisms as the “trolleyana” which gives NYMT much of its charm. However, the chance to share all this with others who may have but little understanding of the past is a worthy undertaking, and seeing so many others enjoy what NYMT has to offer makes all the effort on the part of us volunteers entirely worthwhile.

Charles R. Lowe, Editor



ALL ABOUT US

The New York Museum of Transportation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit museum chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. We are managed and operated entirely by volunteers, and the welcome mat is always out for anyone wishing to join our work. Open for visitors all year on Sundays only, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., we also welcome group visits during the week by appointment.

We are located at 6393 East River Road in the Town of Rush, and our mailing address is P.O. Box 136, West Henrietta, NY 14586. www.nymtmuseum.org is the place to find us on the internet and learn much more about us. Also, you can visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NYMTmuseum.

Want to contact us? Call us at (585) 533-1113 or send us an email at info@nymtmuseum.org. And, remember to tell your friends!

Consider becoming a member www.nymtmuseum.org/Membership.php .