ROCHESTER STREETCARSNo. 22 in a series
by Charles R. Lowe
Railroad roofs such as seen here on car 705 graced only a minority of Rochesterís streetcars. While some early single-truck cars including 100-119 and 200-299 had railroad roofs, later cars mostly had either deck or arch roofs. Among the latter-day double-truck cars in Rochester, only 40 cars, the 700-724 and 800-814 cars, employed railroad roofs.
The 700-724 cars were built by G. C. Kuhlman Car Company of Cleveland, Ohio under shop order 440 in 1910. The carsí 32í-6" car bodies seated 44; platforms at each end gave these cars an overall length of 44í-8".
Another innovation of the low 700s was their single-ended arrangement. Motor and brake controls were located only at one end of the car. The low 700s were Rochesterís first single-end cars built as such since the single-end bobtail horsecars of the 1880s. Construction of loops at the ends of Rochesterís streetcar lines proceeded quickly after 1907, permitting use of efficient single-end streetcars.
Although rebuilt in 1917-1920, the 700-724 and 800-814 cars remained 2-man cars for their entire service careers. As trailer use in Rochester diminished in the 1930s with a decrease in ridership and a conversion of streetcar lines to bus operation, the 700-724 and 800-814 cars were withdrawn from operation. First of the trailer fleet to be scrapped were the 1400s; most were gone by the end of 1935. Car 705, which never received a white safety stripe as did most Rochester cars in the late 1920s, is seen in this photo languishing at Blossom Road Yard about 1936. It is sandwiched between 1100-series trailers, and all three cars are awaiting their final scrapping. By August of 1939, scrapping of the low 700s, the low 800s and the 1100-series trailers would be complete.