ROCHESTER STREETCARSNo. 17 in a series
by Charles R. Lowe
The location of car 523 in this February 18, 1935 view proved to be a puzzle of sorts. Just to the right of the streetcar is a highway touring route sign for State Route 31, conveniently mounted on a trolley pole. The automobile, hogging much of the scene at left, obscures valuable streetscape that might have been useful in identifying the location. The siding track in the foreground seemed as though it should have been distinctive. When a mid-1930ís highway map was consulted, it was discovered that Route 31 once was carried on St. Paul Street. When examined closely, the building with the peaked roof in the background at left is none other than the St. Paul St. shops of New York State Railways, located just north of Driving Park Avenue. Passing southbound and signed "State St. Car House", car 523ís trip must have been just a chance sighting that Slyford was lucky to document.
Car 523 had been built in 1900 by Rochester Railway Company as the private trolley car "Genesee"; it was later rebuilt (in 1911 and 1921) into the passenger car seen here.
As such, it toiled in obscurity on the streets of Rochester until the fall of 1935. The car was then stripped of its motors and other useful equipment, after which it was towed to Blossom Road yard for scrapping by the burning of its wood carbody.